By :- Ms. Renu Puri & Ms. Vanshika Saigal
Food gives us the fuel that runs our body and keeps us fit and healthy. Preparing food is a wholesome activity done on a daily basis which requires time and energy of an individual. It is not some activity that can be left out or ignored even a short period of time as the body cannot sustain itself without nourishment.
Meal preparation requires a lot of time and resources, especially in India as food is an integral part of our culture. Everyone knows the advantages of having a healthy body but are hesitant to put in time and effort to achieve that. The first step in this process is to understand that even the smallest effort will ultimately help achieve your goal.
The diet plans are made not only based on food but on the lifestyle and time constraint of the client. In preparation of food prescribed by the counselor, a lot of people have a number of misgivings like:
- They think the whole meal needs to be prepared separately while in reality most of the times only one item like grains needs to be added or removed from the meal.
- Another myth is that food can be eaten only by the client. This is absolutely not true as the grain that maybe added to the meal is nutritious and wholesome and can be eaten by every member of the family.
- It is a very time-consuming process. This can easily be overcome by taking the help of modern gadgets which make the initial meal preparation process much simpler and quicker.
It is important to first convince oneself that this is an investment in one’s body and so if, in the starting, a little extra exertion is required it will be worth the effort later on.
- One can prepare food in bulk and freeze it for further use.
- Half of the items like curries, etc. can be prepared in advance and fresh vegetables can be added later.
- One should try to include items that are fresh and available locally, so that a person can sustain the diet chart over a significant period of time.
- Fusion food like quinoa biryani can be tried to bring variety into the diet. One can always add a dash of spice or tadka to any bland food or to make it spicier.
- They can also search the internet for interesting recipes or join like-minded food groups, both for recipes and inspiration.
The most important thing is to understand that it is a long process, the results of which will manifest only after a period of time. Hence it is extremely important to keep the patience and follow the diet chart religiously. One should always imagine the final results and the positive feelings it will bring along with it. So, it should not be looked as a one-time job but a lifelong habit that needs to be made a part of our daily lives.